Chloé Mini Tess Day Bag Review



The Chloé Small Tess Bag melted my heart when it debuted in 2018, and has lived rent-free in my head ever since. Nonetheless, I hesitated on this bag for the longest time because I didn't think it was that practical. Just as I finally managed to convince myself that the Tess was too impractical for the price, Chloé released a Day Bag version last year addressing all my concerns, while maintaining that charming Tess aesthetic.

So I bought it, of course.

I admit this was an impulse lockdown purchase - I decided to get it in the middle of our province's third "lockdown". However, I decided the design was practical enough for me to splurge on, and somehow the under C$2,000 price seemed almost reasonable in comparison to other brands (*cough* looking at you LV, Chanel and Celine).

The Bag Specs

Name: Chloé Mini Tess Day Bag

Colour: Motty Grey

Size: Mini (also comes in Small)

Price: $2,145 CAD / $1,690 USD

Materials: Grained Calfskin and Buffed Calfskin, Cotton Twill Lining

Measurements: W 8.75 in x H 6 in x D 4 in

Weight: 730 g or 1.6 pounds empty

History of the Bag

Source: Chloé

Known for their free-spirited, unapologetically feminine style, Chloé has churned out it bag after it bag over the last few decades. The Paddington, Paraty, Marcie, Faye, and Drew were all instant hits for French fashion house. The Tess debuted in 2018 under Creative Director Natacha Ramsay-Levi and became an instant best seller for its adorable saddle shape and shiny hardware. The smaller size was particularly popular, spawning multiple YouTube unboxings and reviews. Most reviews mention that the capacity of the Small size was rather limited, and most didn't go for the bigger size due to the awkward proportions of the hardware.

In summer 2020, Chloé released the Day Bag version in both a Mini and Small size. The Mini size had a top handle with crossbody strap, whereas the Small size had a crossbody strap and shoulder strap. The Tess Day Bag was one of the last bag designs under Natacha Ramsay-Levi before she exited Chloé and was replaced by Gabriela Hearst.

Design Rating: 8/10

The Tess Day Bag is the best of both worlds: it maintains the beauty of the original Tess while being far more practical. The original Small Tess bag had no back pocket, whereas the Mini Tess Day Bag has a spacious back pocket that can definitely fit a phone and more. The original Tess had a rather useless interior card pocket, whereas you can fit things in the zippered pocket of the Tess Day Bag. Most models of the Tess are made of a smooth leather that showed dents and scratches easily, whereas the Tess Day Bag appears to be exclusively made of durable textured leather. I also really like that the strap on the Tess Day Bag is slightly thinner than the original Tess Bag.


I ended up choosing the Motty Grey colour as I don't have any grey bags, and I really love chameleon neutrals that change colour depending on the lighting. Furthermore, the other colours of the Tess were either black or delicate light colours, so I thought the Motty Grey would be the most resistant to dirt and general wear.

You can carry the Tess Day Bag as a crossbody or remove the strap and carry it just as a top handle, which I think is a very cute and dressy way of wearing it. Ever since I got the Loewe Puzzle, I've been obsessed with top handle bags - having a top handle comes in so handy on the daily and instantly makes the bag more versatile!

Both the Tess and Tess Day bag feature feet at the bottom, though they are more decorative than practical since they don't prevent the leather from touching surfaces.


The biggest downside of the design is the way the opening is designed. Unlike the original Tess which has a simple magnetic closure, the Tess Day bag has a bizarre opening that is both magnetic and requires a significantly amount of strength to pull open. While this makes your bag very secure, it can also be frustrating to get in and out of the bag on a regular basis because it often requires both hands to open the bag. I have no idea why Chloé designed the bag this way, but a simple magnetic closure would have worked. On the plus side, this closure design does ensure the "door knocker" ring is quite far away from the bag, which prevents any potential denting by the heavy gold hardware.

Another con of the bag is that there is a portion of the strap that sticks out, as pictured below. If you're wearing this bag in the summer, it can dig uncomfortably into the skin, so I usually flip the strap around so that the flat side is against my skin.


Wear and Tear Rating: 9/10

The quality of the leather is very good  it is incredibly thiccc (yes, with 3 c's) and feels very sturdy. The Tess Day Bag comes in primarily textured leather so it doesn't scratch easily, unlike the original Tess Bag which mostly comes in a more delicate smooth leather. I don't worry too much about potentially damaging the leather or getting rained on. There is a little bit of wrinkling on the flap where the D-rings are nailed in, but otherwise the leather is holding up beautifully.

Practicality Rating: 8/10

The durable leather and roomy capacity make the Tess Mini Day Bag a very usable piece! I've been carrying it for a month and enjoy pairing the girly bag with a masculine blazer or coat. The top handle and crossbody strap make it very practical. The reason I'm docking 2 points is because the opening clasp really is very difficult sometimes. I feel I shouldn't have to struggle to open a bag above the $1,000 mark.

Versatility Rating: 9/10

I find this bag super versatile due to being able to remove the crossbody strap. With the crossbody strap, the Tess seems a bit edgy, a bit more carefree and matches a casual day look. Without the crossbody strap, the Tess becomes very ladylike and can be dressed up during the night - contrary to its name! Overall, the versatility of the bag really surprised me.

What Fits Inside


Although the Tess Day Bag looks roomy, a lot of space is taken up by the luscious, thick leather. I can just about fit:
  • iPhone 8 in the back pocket
  • Card holder
  • Keys
  • Mini Pochette
  • Air Pods (not included in the photo above, but fits)
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Spare shopping bag
  • Mask
  • Sunglasses
My sunglasses and hand sanitizer can actually be stored vertically in this bag without stretching the flap which is a huge plus!



Pricing and Where to Buy

Chloé is one of those brands that are available at multiple retailers, and is rarely ever excluded from discount codes. I highly recommend looking for a deal on Chloé because it almost always exists.

I got my Mini Tess Day Bag from 24 Sèvres or 24S where it was listed for C$1,960 (much lower than the MSRP) and applied a one-day discount code. In addition to the price, I chose 24S because they are backed by LVMH, there are no additional charges upon delivery and returns are free within 30 days. I encountered glazing issues with my first bag, so I packaged it up with the prepaid return label and scheduled a DHL pickup online. Both my first order and re-order arrived within 3 business days from Paris to Toronto, which is really impressive during these COVID-19 times!

There are currently a ton of spring sales going on, so I've compiled a number of other stockists below.

SHOP THE CHLOÉ TESS DAY BAG - USA:




SHOP THE CHLOÉ TESS DAY BAG - CANADA:




Final Thoughts

If you like the look of the Chloé Tess Bag but would prefer something more practical, the Tess Day Bag is the perfect alternative. The biggest downside is the tricky opening clasp, but otherwise the Tess is the perfect elegant girly bag. I am really enjoying the bohemian chic vibe of this French fashion house, and may need to start hunting for other Chloé bags!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best and Worst Designer Wallets on Chain (WOC)

Mejuri Thin Croissant Dome Ring Review