The Best and Worst Designer Wallets on Chain (WOC)


The Wallet on Chain  or WOC for short  seems like a great deal at first. They're around 40-50% the price of a handbag, but they can still fit a phone and a few other essentials. WOCs usually come with a chain strap (hence the name), so it's basically a small bag at half the price. Pretty good value, right?

At least that's what I thought when I purchased my Dior WOC! After owning it for a few years, it's my go-to black occasion bag, but I've found that WOCs aren't always as amazing value as they seem. These days, I look for the following features in a designer WOC:

1) It must have a leather portion on the chain strap. While I loooove the chain on my Dior WOC, it has a tendency to dig into my shoulder if I have my phone and other things inside the WOC. This can be a problem if you're wearing clothes that don't cover the shoulder, like a strapless dress.

2) The chain should not rub the flap. Unfortunately, Dior WOCs have a tendency to place the chain right up against the edges of the flap, which means it rubs against the flap and causes wear. It's quite difficult to fix without altering the look of the WOC.

3) The WOC should be able to stand up on its own. While WOC designs that look like long wallets are very elegant, there's something about a WOC that can stand up straight that makes it more "handbag-like".

4) Added bonuses, like a back pocket. If I'm at an event that would require a compact evening bag, I'm probably taking photos or checking my coat! A back pocket is really useful for coat check tickets or storing your phone.

With that said, I've researched and tried on multiple designer WOCs. Based on my humble opinion, I have ranked the most popular designer WOCs below!


1) BVLGARI Serpenti Forever Chain Wallet

Price: €1,600 | $1,950 USD | $2,450 CAD and up

Measurements: 20cm x 12cm x 4cm

Source: Bulgari.com

BVLGARI is primarily a fine jewelry brand, but started producing their Serpenti Forever handbag line nearly 10 years ago. BVLGARI handbag hardware is second to none - the details on the snake head and snake-inspired chain are absolutely impeccable.

Like many other handbag brands, BVLGARI has released WOCs that are similar in design to their best selling handbags. Recently, they released a WOC style that ticked all the boxes for me. Not only does it have all the features listed above, but it is also very spacious, with dimensions of 20cm x 12cm x 4cm. The price is also decent, starting at $1,600 USD or $2,050 CAD.

A small detail I really appreciate is the way BVLGARI designed the strap hooks. Notice that the leather loops on the flap protrude beyond the edge so that the chain strap doesn't dig into the leather. How amazingly thoughtful is that?!

If you've lusted after a BVLGARI Serpenti bag but hesitate at the price, the WOC is a great option. Their classic Serpenti crossbody bag measures 20cm x 14cm x 4.5cm, which is basically a 2cm difference in height for $1,000 more.

I couldn't resist and picked up a Serpenti WOC, and I absolutely love the design and craftsmanship. I would 100% recommend this to anyone looking for a luxury WOC. For the price, it's an amazing mini handbag!


2) Saint Laurent Envelope Chain Wallet (small size)

Price: €895 | $1,350 USD | $1,785 CAD

Measurements: 19cm x 12.5cm x 3.5cm

Source: YSL.com

My next WOC pick is the Saint Laurent Envelope wallet on chain with the iconic YSL logo. If you like the Chanel look but don't like the price, Saint Laurent makes fantastic WOCs. I especially like the smaller size Envelope WOC as it looks more like a handbag and comes with a leather piece on the chain strap, making it comfortable to wear.

The cons of this WOC are that a) it's quite a small bag, b) the chains have a tendency to twist which may not look so elegant, and c) it has a button closure instead of a magnetic one, which is less convenient. However, Saint Laurent leather is known for being durable so this WOC will last you a long time. Combined with the fact that it's the least expensive WOC on the list, Saint Laurent is great value for money.


3) Chanel Wallet on Chain

Price: €2,550 | $2,950 USD | $3,550 CAD and up

Measurements: 19.2cm x 12.3cm x 3.5cm

Source: Chanel.com

I can't help but give credit where credit is due. Chanel is the original WOC trendsetter! While Chanel is much more expensive than it used to be, they still make one of the most beautiful WOC designs on the market.

The Chanel WOC has some great features, such as a combined leather and chain strap, which makes it great for casual day-to-day wear. There are many YouTube videos demonstrating the capacity of the WOC, and there is even a small back pocket on the classic model. Chanel recently updated all their WOCs to have a convenient magnetic closure instead of a button closure, making them easier to use.

There are a few cons to this WOC, mainly that the strap is not removable or adjustable, and there is a zipped "love letter" compartment which is rather useless and leaves an indent in the quilted leather. 

Nevertheless, the look and feel of a Chanel WOC is utterly classic. Overall, I'd say get the Chanel WOC if that's the brand you're really after, rather than compromising for a cheaper designer WOC.


4) Dior Lady Dior Pouch

Price: €1,600 | $2,100 USD | $2,600 CAD and up

Measurements: 21.5cm x 11.5cm x 3cm

Source: Dior.com

While my exact Lady Dior WOC is no longer available, it seems that the Lady Dior Pouch has become a classic staple for the fashion house. I give it points for being able to stand on its own and having removable inserts which can then be sold on consignment to recoup some of the cost.

However, this particular WOC/mini bag has the same cons as my Lady Dior WOC, which is that the metal chain strap digs into the shoulder, and rubs the edges off the flap. To avoid those cons, you could carry it as a clutch since the strap is removable.

If you are open to buying pre-loved discontinued styles, I would highly recommend the Miss Dior Promenade Pouch. It's about the same size as a Chanel mini rectangle bag, but is designed like a WOC in that it has built-in card slots and a zip compartment. Unlike most WOCs or the Chanel mini, it has a generous back pocket AND a leather piece on the strap. This is my favourite Dior bag of all time, and I would highly recommend it to any Dior lovers!


Thoughts on Other WOCs

While there are certainly more designer WOCs out there, the ones listed above are the only WOCs I'd seriously consider purchasing. I know there are a few more popular WOCs out there, such as the Louis Vuitton Felicie Pochette and Gucci Dionysus WOC, but I'm not a fan of the full chain strap and limited capacity. If you really love those brands, I would recommend saving up for an actual handbag instead. I find the WOCs that are comfortable to wear and have a decent capacity to be the ones I use the most.

I'd love to know what you think about my ranking! Are there any other designer WOCs you enjoy?

Comments

  1. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. CELINE SANGLE BUCKET BAG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chloé Mini Tess Day Bag Review

Mejuri Thin Croissant Dome Ring Review