Celine Classic Box Bag Review

 

I first discovered Céline (emphasis on the é) while browsing various fashion blogs, specifically when I spotted the Céline Trapeze on Chriselle Lim in 2012. While my opinion on Old Céline bag styles changed over the years, I found myself continually coming back to the Classic Bag. 

In 2019, I was on a trip to France and finally took the plunge on a black Medium Classic Bag. I purchased it from the Paris flagship store on 53 Avenue Montaigne right when the store opened and had a wonderful experience.

After two years of using this bag, I feel I can give a thorough and comprehensive review.


The Bag Specs

Name: Celine Classic Bag

Colour: Black

Size: Medium

Price: $4,950 CAD / $3,400 USD

Measurements: W 24 cm x H 18 cm x D 7 cm (W 9 in X H 7 in X D 3 in)

Material: Box Calfskin, Lambskin lining, Brass hardware

Weight: 0.81 kg or 1.8 pounds empty


History of the Bag

    
Left: Vintage Celine Bag (Source). Right: Céline Classic Bag (Source)

The Celine Classic Bag is based on an older vintage Celine style which featured Celine's horse and carriage logo on the front. In one of Phoebe Philo's first collections for Céline, the front buckle got updated to a sleek rectangular clasp, and interior compartments were re-organized. 

The Classic Bag is often referred to the "Box Bag" due to its shape, but the "Box" is actually a type of leather (box calfskin) rather than the style of the bag.

The Classic Bag is still produced today under Hedi Slimane, with small changes to the logo and stamping on the interior. Currently it is available in the Small, Teen and Medium sizes. I wouldn't recommend the Small size because it doesn't even fit an iPhone 8 comfortably. The Teen and Medium sizes will fit any phone perfectly.

Comparison of each Classic Bag size from the Celine official website.


Design Rating: 10/10

Some people find this bag plain and boring due to the lack of logos. Others, like myself, love the minimal branding and simple but elegant design. Personally, I think the Classic bag is one of THE most beautiful designs out there, especially in this gorgeous smooth box calfskin. The antique gold hardware is not too yellow and complements the leather beautifully.

As the most expensive bag in my collection, I wanted a colour that would match many outfits and look good for many years. So of course, I went with the classic black. I feel that the leather is showcased the most beautifully on the darker colours of the Classic, as the box calfskin is extremely smooth and shiny.


Wear and Tear Rating: 5/10

While the smooth leather is luxurious, it is also extremely delicate! As a result, I really baby this bag and ensure it doesn't accidentally hit any sharp corners. I also do not carry this bag when it rains or snows. Since the leather gets damaged easily in inclement weather, its use is limited to the months between late spring and early autumn.

Even with all this fuss, I managed to get a scratch on the back ;~; It has faded over time but still breaks my heart a little every time I see it. The straps also now have wrinkles along the leather, but I think this is inevitable with most bags. Other than that, the rest of the bag has held up beautifully. I do clean and condition this bag with Apple Leather Care and Conditioner.

         

The inside of the bag is lined in a soft, luxurious lambskin that unfortunately scratches very easily. I'm personally not too fussed about scratching up the inside of my bag, but it may bother some people.


Practicality Rating: 7/10

Some people say the opening "hinge" is difficult to open with one hand, but I personally find it easy to open. It's not as carefree as a zipper or open tote, but it only took me a bit of practice to open the bag with one hand. Plus, you'll know if someone is trying to get into your bag because it's not obvious how the bag works.

A big con of the bag is the sharp edges of the strap buckles. I guess they were designed this way for the ~aesthetic~ but they are sharp enough to cut paper! This means you'll need to be careful if you're wearing summer clothes, or else wear a thick sweater or coat while wearing the bag.

I've also read reviews complaining that the bag is heavy. It's a bit heavy for what it can hold, but these box-style bags need that heavy leather to maintain the structure.


Versatility Rating: 8/10

I find that this bag can be worn both casually and formally. It doesn't quite transition to the evening the way a Chanel Classic Flap does, but it would be a bit bulky and heavy for evening events regardless. Overall, the design is still very versatile.

The Classic Bag can be worn crossbody, on the shoulder, or even carried in the hand like a clutch. I alternate between crossbody and shoulder, and find that the strap sits at the perfect length either way (I’m around 5’6). The biggest con of owning this bag is that the buckles on the strap are extremely sharp and will dig into your skin. As a result, you will need to adjust the buckle position when wearing, or else wear the bag with thick clothing (i.e. coat or sweater).


What Fits Inside

Despite the accordion style of the bag, the Classic Bag is rather limited in what it can hold due to all of the compartments. Here is what will fit inside the bag:

  • iPhone 8
  • Card holder
  • Keys
  • Mini Pochette unzipped, where I put Air Pods
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Spare shopping bag
  • Mask

The Mini Pochette is a bit redundant since the bag has a lot of internal organization already and will take up space, so I sometimes don't include it and try to fit my sunglasses inside. Overall, I'd say the bag is enough for all of your essentials plus a little extra.


Pricing and Where to Buy

Your options for purchasing the Classic Bag are mainly in-store, as the official Celine website only ships to a few countries outside of Europe. The other authorized retailer is 24s.com, but product selection is limited. As a Canadian, it is much cheaper to purchase the bag in Europe and get the VAT refund.

SHOP CELINE CLASSIC BAG - USA:

     

SHOP CELINE CLASSIC BAG - CANADA:

     

Given its steep price point, a lot of people are tempted to buy this bag pre-loved. While there are great deals to be had, please note that this style of bag is easy to fake through photos, which means there are a lot of fake Classic Bags on the pre-loved market! For high quality replicas, the main "tells" are fonts of the logos and date codes, as well as the quality of the leather which is difficult to ascertain through photos. As a result, always authenticate independently before you buy - PurseForum has an authentication expert for Old Céline Box Bags and there are various paid authentication services you can use (I have used LegitGrails before, though not for Celine).

Alternatively, the Classic Bag is often duped in other luxury and contemporary designer brands. The closest affordable dupe is the A.P.C. Grace bag, which retails for around $600-700 USD and can often be found on sale.

SHOP A.P.C. GRACE BAG:

         

Final Thoughts

The Celine Classic Bag is aptly named and will remain in my wardrobe for a very long time, even if it is a little more high maintenance. If your priority is a style that will still look good in 20 years and you aren't a fan of logos, this bag ticks all the boxes (pun intended!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloé Mini Tess Day Bag Review

The Best and Worst Designer Wallets on Chain (WOC)

Mejuri Thin Croissant Dome Ring Review